Design Process Overview
- Client Brief
Concept and Planning
- Micro schedule
- Proof of concept
- Feature List
- Design Research
- Exp. requirements
- Tech. requirements
Design, Prototype and Specifications
- Workflow and Storyboards
- Visual Design and Specs.
- User Testing Report
- Finished exp.prototype
- Functional Spec.Production Matrix
- Alpha Builds
- Beta Builds
- Test Matrix
- Test for bugs/issues
- Updating and adding content
- Style Guides
- Archived Assets
Interactive Design Model
- Begins with an abstract and conception
- Visual Design
- Interface, Navigation and Information Design
- Interaction Design and Information Design
- Functional Specifications and Content Requirements
- User Needs and Site Objectives
Personas, Scenarios and Wireframes
Persona: Fictional archetypal users; a portrayal of a character.
- User Persona
- Artefact Persona
- User Scenario
If there is not a conscious, articulated vision of your audience then it is NOT design.
To design interactivity, we must first think about the audience. A designer must have an understanding of the audience that they are designing for. Therefore, a persona is a hypothetical audience that, if followed and designed for, can reach the goal for an intended audience.
Personas and Scenario Example
User – Persona.
Goals – Objective that the design needs to achieve.
Scenario – A hypothetical event created to help the designer see what the user would experience with the designed solution.
Artefact – Product
- If the interface were a person, what would he or she be like?
- How would you expect users to react when they use the product
- How would you describe this product to a friend
- How is the product different form competitive products
- Which celebrity (or car movie etc.) is the product most like? (Least like? Why?)
Developing a set of keywords that forms the foundation for the design. This helps build the persona of the product.
The design process is crucial to developing any type of design. The designer must plan and make sure all preparations and research have been completed before even attempting to create the product. This will ensure that the product will be of high quality.